“I am proud of the progress we have made since our founders established JM 160 years ago. This company has stood the test of time with fortitude and vision,” says
chairman, president & chief executive officer Mary Rhinehart. She adds that a sustainability mindset has been key to JM’s longevity, which is particularly significant as the company celebrates its 160th anniversary in 2018.
“I am proud of the progress we have made since our founders established JM 160 years ago. This company has stood the test of time with fortitude and vision,” says Rhinehart. “Guided by our core values – People, Passion, Perform and Protect – we will continue to embrace opportunities to grow in a sustainable manner. I am confident we will thrive as the Employer and Supplier of Choice for many years to come.”
Vice president of R&D and chief sustainability officer Tim Swales stresses the important role that companies play in creating a more sustainable world. The 2016/2017 report reaffirms JM’s commitment to sustainable development, he says.
“On a global scale, JM has the capital and the scientific and engineering expertise to help address some of society’s most complex issues, like energy efficiency and lifecycle durability,” says Swales. “We will continue to take a business approach to sustainability that creates long-term value for our stakeholders – one that also helps JM to become even more productive, innovative and competitive.”
Significant accomplishments outlined in the 2016/2017 report include:
- Reducing greenhouse gas emission intensity by 2.5%.
- Attaining JM’s goal three years early to implement environmental management systems in 100% of North American and European plants.
- Developing product category Environmental Product Declarations for JM’s HVAC, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and mechanical insulation materials.
- Completing an extensive water survey to better understand local water source vulnerability at JM’s plants in the U.S. and around the world.
- Investing approximately $2 billion over the past 10 years to make JM more productive, safe, innovative and sustainable.
- Increasing customer value by developing sustainable new products and technologies for insulation and lightweighting.
- Decreasing JM’s lost time incident rate by more than 50% from 2016 to 2017.
- Promoting employee wellbeing with 52% of U.S. employees participating in on-site biometric screening events.
- Achieving JM’s community service and volunteerism goals three years early.
- Inspiring 27% more volunteers to give 34% more volunteer hours while participating in 60% more volunteer projects over our 2015 baseline.
The 2016/2017 report was developed “in accordance” with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Guidelines Core option and has undergone review by GRI’s Materiality Disclosures Service to confirm the correctness of the locations of the G4 Guidelines Materiality Disclosures.