Elsner Engineering Works is marking the 75th anniversary as a third generation, family-owned and operated business. Elsner was founded in August 4, 1934 by Franz & Johann Elsner, German immigrants who had only arrived in the U.S. 10 years earlier. Originally located in a broom factory in Hanover, PA, Elsner operates out of its state-of-the-art facility located across town from its original setting.
Known as the “Little Dutchman,” Franz Elsner began the business repairing equipment and designing special machinery for local manufacturers. The potato chip slicer was the first machine developed by Elsner, followed by extensive work in cigar box machinery. Until Elsner’s entry into designing and manufacturing converting machinery in the mid 1950s, Elsner continued designing and manufacturing special machinery whose numbers exceed 400. The firm sold its first roll packaging system to convert and package gift wrap rolls in 1955 to Tuttle Press Company.
Today, Elsner Engineering Works designs and manufactures converting and packaging machinery. Its line of over 50 different rewinding, folding and overwrapping machines is used to convert and package such as products disposable disinfectant baby nonwoven wipes, gift wrap paper, aluminum foil and wall paper.